Mission of the Center for Future Educators at The College of New Jersey:
The Center for Future Educators (CFE) at The College of New Jersey was established in 2010 to inspire, encourage, and recruit high school and middle school students who are considering teaching as a future career. CFE especially seeks future educators interested in teaching in high poverty and hard-to-staff schools and/or high shortage subject areas such as math, science, special education, world languages, technology, bilingual and ESL. CFE believes that New Jersey’s students are entitled to have the best, highly trained teachers to promote academic progress and social skill development. CFE works collaboratively with New Jersey’s high schools and middle schools, colleges and universities, corporate, governmental, and community agencies to develop an exemplary model of future teacher recruitment. CFE is funded by the New Jersey Education Association.
Goals of the Center for Future Educators at The College of New Jersey:
- Set the standard for excellence in recruiting today’s high school and middle schools students as tomorrow’s teachers.
- Provide leadership for “home-growing” future teachers, particularly for challenging high needs schools and high shortage subjects.
- Extol teaching as an honorable profession dedicated to achieving the highest professional standards in the service of New Jersey’s students, schools, and communities.
- Provide leadership, support and develop governance for the New Jersey Future Educators Association (NJFEA).
- Plan and coordinate the annual NJFEA Conference.
- Plan, coordinate trainings, and provide support for the Tomorrow’s Teachers high school course elective.
- Plan and sponsor the Urban Teacher Academy at The College of New Jersey, and provide support for other urban teacher academies in New Jersey.
- Increase student recruitment for NJFEA chapters and SNJEA membership.
- Develop and support regional and state-wide programs and activities for future teachers.
- Work collaboratively with high schools, colleges/universities, corporate, governmental and community agencies to fund and develop future teacher recruitment programs and activities.
- Conduct research and share trends pertinent to future teacher recruitment.
- Provide statewide communications on future teacher recruitment.
- Build a growing membership organization. We believe that diverse membership is our strength.